"It's a world of laughter, a world of tears. It's a world of hopes, and a world of fears. There's so much that we share, that it's time we're aware. It's a small world after all." - written by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman & made famous by Walt Disney

Friday, January 18, 2013

Labeling Wars

When I went to visit a friend teaching at a boarding school in England I took one central question with me: what do British students call the American Revolution? As I went through the town of Uppingham I felt like I was being taken to Harry Potter Land. The students even wore scarfs that represented the houses where they lived. Even though I did get a stereotypical boarding school experience I did not get the answer to my question that I thought. I assumed I would get something completely different from what is used in the US, but for the most part students know the war as the War for American Independence or just part of the colonial wars. They do stay away from labeling it a revolution. Frankly the Brits get a little boring in naming their wars (except maybe the Boer War). For example the War of 1812 or Seven Years War or how the Irish War for Independence is just the Anglo-Irish War.

I am really interested in some of the best war names in history. Comment if you have an opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment